Title: Associate Professor Of New Media
Office: EA 2025K
Web Page: ericsouther.com
- 2011 - Masters of Fine Art in Electronic Integrated Art - Alfred University School of Art and Design, New York
Eric Souther is a video and new media artist whom draws from a multiplicity of disciplines, including anthropology, linguistics, religion and critical theory. These investigations coalesce into works where ritual, materials, and technological assemblages form emergent systems. Work made with these systems arise from the dialog between myself and the codes that constitute our world. He looks for new ways of seeing beyond the seductive qualities of an image to find unseen pathways that help us understand our digital and non-digital existence. His work takes many pathways, which includes single channel video, interactive installation, projection mapping, and audiovisual performance.
Eric Souther's work has been featured nationally and internationally at venues such as the Museum of Art and Design, NYC, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, NY and the Museum of Art, zhangzhou, China. His work has been screened in The Athens Digital Arts Festival, Athens, Greece, Cronosfera Festival, Alessandria, Italy, the Galerija 12 New Media Hub, Belgrade, Serbia, and the Simultan Festival, Timisoara, Romania.
In 2016, Eric won the Juried Award for Time-Based at the international art competition ArtPrize. He received his M.F.A. in Electronic Integrated Arts from Alfred University and is currently an Associate Professor of New Media at Indiana University South Bend.
Multiplicity of disciplines, including anthropology, linguistics, code, religion and critical theory. These investigations coalesce into works where ritual, materials, and technological assemblages form emergent systems.
- Overseas Conference Grant, “The Model of the World”, Museum of Art, Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, China, from the office of the Vice President for International Affairs, Indiana University Worldwide.
- Grant Recipient, Project Title: Liminal Labyrinth, New Frontiers in the Arts & Humanities Experimentation Fellowship, Indiana University, PI: Eric Souther, M.F.A., Assistant Professor of New Media, co-PI: Dr. Kevin Ladd Professor of Psychology, Bloomington, IN.
- Juried Award, Time-Based Category, ArtPrize 8, 2016, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Panel Award, “Old Media is New Media”, R-Cade Symposium, Rutgers University – Camden, Camden, NJ.
- Agentive Matter, 数字之诗意(Poetic of Digit), 1905 Cultural and Creative Park, Oct. 7–8, 2017, Shenyang, China.
- The Model of the World, Museum of Art, Oct. 29–Nov. 15, 2017, Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, China.
- Simultan Festival XII: Possible Futures, Oct. 7, 2017, Timisoara, Romania.
- Future Talk, Urban Institute for Contemporary Art, ArtPrize 2016, September 10–October 16, 2016 Grand Rapids, MI.
- Athens Digital Arts Festival, Digital Pop: What is Pop in the Digital Age?, Complex Gate Ermou, Curated by Eirini Olumpiou, May 19–22, 2016, Athens, Greece.
- Transformations: A Code and Data-Driven Animation Screening, Media Lounge, New Media Caucus, curated by Darren Douglas Floyd, Mat Rappaport, & A. Bill Miller, Presented at the College Art Association Conference, February 6, 2016, Washington, DC.
- Against the Grain: Wood in Contemporary Art, Craft and Design, traveling exhibition,
- Curated by Lowery Stokes Sims, Museum of Art and Design, March 19–September 15, 2013, New York, NY.
- Kronosfera, Galerija 12 New Media Hub, Curated by Luisa Mizzoni aka Luxi Lu, January 18–25, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia.
Indiana University South Bend social media channels
Indiana University South Bend1700 Mishawaka Ave
South Bend, IN 46615